Tuesday, October 26, 2010

That Conan Project

As I told y'all a while back, I'm working on a new mini-project. It's a series of dioramas based on Conan book covers.

Up first this famous Frazetta piece that is on the cover of the second book in the series (ignore the banner at the top which is from a Dark Horse series of comics, not the books I mentioned):


As I said in the earlier article, I am not trying to create a 3D duplicate of the cover, but rather an homage in my style. To that end here are the two giants I'm working on. Note the green bits. Those are modifications I've done to bring the figures more in line with both the cover and the text of Howard's work:

"(Conan) did not wonder at the strangeness of it all - not even when two gigantic figures rose up to bar his way. The scales of their mail were white with hoarfrost; their helmets and axes were covered with ice. Snow sprinkled their locks, in their beards were spikes of icicles, and their eyes were as cold as the lights that streamed above them."

Beards and axes stood out to me. One figure had no beard, the other no axe. Sadly, neither have helmets, but that's not something I feel makes a big statement on the figure, so I'm leaving them as is.



Neither had a proper base to work with (I absolutely hate slotta-bases for painting since they never hold the figure properly, letting it flop around too much) so I've used some leftover plastic from my chess set project to make bases.

No comments: