Tuesday, July 02, 2024

More Powerful Than A Locomotive...

...sorta.

Around this time next year, a new Superman movie is due to hit theatres.

James Gunn, he of Guardians of the Galaxy directing fame, has taken the helm of this film and written it as well.  He's totally ignored my overtures on social media (admittedly, I'm no expert in that field, so I can't really blame him) but if this new Superman film is great, I'll happily forgive him.

Below is probably the best picture I've seen from all the shots coming out of the film set.  The cape (with the comic accurate yellow S shield, Yay!) looks phenomenal.  Gunn has put the trunks and big yellow belt back in the costume as well, so I'm happy with the look.  There have been a lot of fanboys bitching that the suit looks too baggy, but I'm confident that cgi post production will make it look slick and well fitted.  I suspect it's a function of convenience for the actor over a long production to not have to squeeze into a form fitting suit every day, since these days they can add muscle definition and nip and tuck the suit digitally after the fact.

 
And I'm confident Superman will be doing the heavy lifting solo.
Filmhands can be cgi'd out as easily as loose fitting trunks.

I have two hopes for this version:  

First, I'm really hoping to see Lex Luthor in the power suit.  The anti-Iron Man version of Superman's nemesis has never graced the big screen and it's WAY past time he did.

Second, no mopey, broody, dark and gritty Man of Steel.  I want a bright, optimistic, happy Superman and from what I've seen, I think we might actually get him this time around.

No comments: