Wednesday, September 18, 2024

Am I Blue Two...

Have you ever thought about how other people see colour?  

I remember having my mind blown during a drunken conversation in my twenties about this very thing.  Since I can't see through your eyes, it's entirely possible that you are seeing totally different colours than I am.  What I think of as red might be what you think of as yellow.  Like that.

Now until we can figure out how to see through another person's eyes, there's no way to confirm that hypothesis one way or another, but there are still colour questions that science can answer.

Every once in a while the internet will go a little nuts over a blue dress that looks gold to some people or some other colour dispute.  One scientist has had an ongoing dispute with his optometrist wife about a blanket in their house that he sees as green and she sees as blue.

So, he created the Is my blue your blue? website.  You click the link and pick if the screen you see is green or blue until you get a result.  The whole story is here.

I've taken it twice and I get the same result each time. My green/blue boundary is 177 which is bluer than 78% of the population.  For me, what most people deem "turquoise" looks green.


There's obviously some skewing because different monitors will display the same colour slightly differently, but it's still fascinating.  If you have the ability, I recommend taking this with several people at once, all on the same monitor.  It might not remove the colour skew as a monitor to monitor issue, but you'll be able to see among yourselves who is green with envy and who is boo-hoo blue.

No comments: