Tuesday, October 01, 2024

Lost In The Shuffle. As Cool As I Hoped!

A long time ago, I saw a very famous magician live at the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Two things are significant. 

1. I annoyed my then girlfriend by pointing out how most of the tricks were done and likely ruined the experience for her.  I'm single for a reason, folks.

2. Turns out that one of the most influential magicians, a guy who a lot of modern magicians point to as the inspiration for the modern, intimate, natural style of magic that most of us are familiar with from stage and screen, was from Ottawa.  I grew up there, so it's always a kick to learn that a local boy made good.  Look up Dai Vernon, he's really cool.  Or just watch Lost in the Shuffle.

 

Magic!

A little history, a little personality, a little magic and a lot of fun.  I won't say it's the best documentary I've ever seen, but it's definitely the best documentary about a possible murder mystery that might just have had clues to its solution embedded in the art of standard playing cards for centuries that I've ever seen.

Talk about hiding in plain sight!

If the theory is true, it's the greatest piece of close up card magic ever done!  

Check it out.  It's worth your time. 

No comments: