Friday, March 22, 2024

Disturbed - Down The Rabbit Hole I Go...

On at least a couple of occasions, I've spent an evening on YouTube chasing videos down the rabbit hole. One on night about 2 or 3 months ago, this activity was sparked by someone reminding me of this cover of the classic folk tune, The Sound of Silence by Simon and Garfunkle. I had heard and loved Disturbed covering the song, but that was it. Then I watched this video and really listened to the vocals. This guy is an unbelievable talent.  His range and control are truly impressive.

I watched dozens of covers, some very good, of this song that night, but I kept coming back to this one.

  

Seriously.  Just a stunning four and a half minutes.

Somehow, after posting my baseball related post below, I ended up watching (and I've never watched one of these before) a reaction video to this song tonight.  In this case it was a vocal coach who had never heard the cover version.  Her reactions were priceless and I even learned a little about vocal technique and why this song is so impressive on so many levels.

This is her:

 

The first of many!

I gotta admit, watching her reactions was a blast.  I have always looked a little down my nose at the idea of watching reaction videos, but I kinda get it now.  At least for this cover of this song.  People who know nothing about Disturbed or better yet only know of them as a metal band, who are then totally stunned and then stunned some more and then even more as they watch are simply fun to watch.  It's almost as good as being able to go back in time and watch the video for the first time myself.

Anyhow, some of the reaction videos were great, some not so great, but hours later, here I am.

I gotta go to bed!

I'll leave you with this last one I just watched.  It's another vocal coach reacting to the cover, this time the live version Disturbed performed on Conan O'Brien a few years ago.  He sums up not only my reaction to the cover of the song, but what he says about his own prejudices pretty much slaps me upside the head for being such a snob about reaction videos in the first place.

Enjoy!

 

"I apologize for being a pretentious Philip Glasshole about this song."

Yeah.  Reaction videos, too.  That's on me.

No comments: